emNumber$>');
Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com

Friday, March 18, 2005

Cowboy up

JamesOn Curry is making the most of his second chance with Oklahoma State. He's a major reason why many, myself included, think the Cowboys will be dangerous in the NCAA tournament.

I thought UNC did the right thing by rescinding Curry's scholarship. The Heels an image to maintian, an image carefully crafted by Dean Smith. Does anyone doubt that Smith advised Roy Williams to pull the scholarship?

Funny, Cowboys coach Eddie Sutton agrees with me (and Williams):

"Sutton....said the right decision was made by North Carolina and Roy Williams to rescind Curry's scholarship. He said he talked with Williams about Curry and believes that for Curry, playing in the ACC may have hurt more than helped."

Sutton:

"I think it would have been very difficult for him to go up and down Tobacco Road. The fans would not be quite as forgiving. I think it would have been hard on Carolina. When they released him, I thought it was a real blessing for us."

Curry "talks about the incident but doesn't dwell on it.

"I went through that for a reason. Maybe I can help other kids out....I take full responsibility like a man."

I saw Curry against Kansas, and he looked great, especially driving to the hoop for a key shot down the stretch. I'll look forward to seeing more of him as OSU makes its tournament run. Yes, it would have been nice to see him more in ACC action, but as Curry said, he went through it all for a reason.